Friday, May 7, 2010

Judy's Jottings May 9 - May 15

Building a Foundation of Support

Sometimes the very people with whom we are closest are the least supportive of our weight-loss efforts. What's more, we find that many of our relationships with others are built around eating and when we try to change that dynamic, we are met with resistance.

This week we will focus on learning how helpful a supportive network can be and we will explore ways to build the network. We need to learn the importance of taking responsibility for expressing our needs to others around us.

The biggest supporter in my life is definitely my husband, Jim. Many of you know that he is a Lifetime Member of Weight Watchers, and that he also works for Weight Watchers. We work as a team to support each other. My kids also support me in my effort to eat healthy foods. While they order whatever they want when we go out, they are more than willing to let me have a bite or two of whatever they have just to satisfy my desire to have a taste.

Not everyone is blessed with a great support team. Many of you may live with saboteurs. You know, husbands who won't even try our delicious Weight Watchers recipes or friends who continuously try to get us to eat more than we should. Sometimes that happens because our friends don't really know what we need. It is in our best interest to ask for what we want.

Unfortunately, friends and family are not always eager supporters, likely because they are jealous or afraid of how the changes we make will impact them. You can always find support at our meetings and on the Weight Watchers site. Just go to the messages boards at www.weightwatchers.com and you will lots of people who are willing to share experiences, recipes and thoughts with you.

I have nothing really exciting to write about this week except my sincere desire to help people lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle. For me, Weight Watchers is all about helping others find the satisfaction of losing weight and keeping it off.

I hope all of you have a wonderful week. The weather is nice and walking is a great way to increase your efforts to lose weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment