Friday, April 16, 2010

Judy's Jottings
April 18 - 24
Success Even on the Weekends

What a great topic. I know that weekends are the hardest for me. I've had several members say that weekends are easy because they are more relaxed and can do more planning. For me, the weekends are a reward for being "good" all week. The problem is that I am gaining weight. While I am not above my goal weight, I am above what I would like to be. I'm just glad that you are my friends. I know that you understand my desire to overeat. I cannot tell you how important you are to me.

Reframing is a Tool for Living that can help. It can help us understand the good intention behind our behaviors. We have to stop and think. What are we getting by going off-plan? We may think that we will get relief from stress, boredom, or the feeling of control. However, reframing our thoughts about the weekend will help us view it as an opportunity to create a healthy lifestyle. By determining the positive intention behind the behavior, we can find nonfood ways to get the positive feeling we seek. Please let me know if you want one.

I know that many of you are thinking that it is easy for me to "be good." The exact opposite is true. I struggle. The last few weeks have been especially difficult for me, and the scales show it. Don't give up on me. I'll be in control this week because I have admitted that I need help, and I know that you will give it to me.

Using activity in place of poor eating choices is an effective way to reframe. Using extra weekend time to plan and/or cook for the week ahead is also a positive way to reframe.

Here is a great poem created by one of our leaders.

My Weekend Weakness
Monday through Friday
My life is routine
My body’s fueled
By fruit, salads and lean cuisine

Weekdays aren’t the problem
Each day the drills the same
I lose control on weekends
Old habits are to blame

I can’t let weekend weakness
Push back success I seek
I’ll plan a healthy lifestyle
Seven days a week

Learning how to live a healthy lifestyle seven days a week is crucial to long-term success. Understanding how to manage less-structured weekends will make it easier to reach goal and stay there.

If you don’t want to slip, don’t go where it’s slippery!

Next Week's Topic: Build helpful habits that support lifelong success.

2 comments: